Saturday, October 13, 2007

For K. This is not a story.

An open letter to the girl who’s been plagiarizing me for the past year, and no I’m not putting in any links, because they’re gone anyway, and I’m not going to take you out any more plainly than you already have been done.

It’s going to be okay.

I know I should be all angry and jealous of the things that people have said about you, but I want you to know that it’s going to be okay. You thought, well this is nice. I’ll put just this one in and no one will know and because I like it so much it’s like I did it, really, and so, it’s really just a very sincere link. A link. And then it was just about your taste. You thought, I’ve got good taste and you can tell by what I’m pretending to have written. It’s taste. I just want to be credited for what I love. That’s natural. Also, “This is harmless, it’s not like I’m getting paid.”

I should be pissed off. I was pissed off. I was downright fucking radioactive. But I’m not stupid. I understand. I can take a compliment. You’re going to be okay. It’s really you that needs the comforting because by now, you’ve convinced yourself that you wrote this. You’re going to be okay, alright? You’ll be alright, just because I said so. Just move on and it’ll be like it never happened.

With genuine love and my flattered soul,

Leigh

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I guess you've worked through the anger to tolerance, but I feel extremely indignant on your behalf.

Dee said...

Plagiarism always makes me so angry - I know far too many excellent writers of fic and fanfic on the internet who've been ripped off, and it drives me mental. (So far as I'm aware, no one's done that to my fanfic ... but you never know).

So I'm really sorry to hear that this has happened to you. *hugs*

xx Dee

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you, Droplet. You are a much bigger person than I. Such tolerance! Good on you.

I'm really sorry you've had to go through this, though.

Anonymous said...

I adore what you've done here. I'm going to do a bit of googling later to see if anyone's done the same to me (did someone say ego?), and I only hope I can be as compassionate about it if they have.

Unless they're scumbags, of course, in which case they'll be sleeping with the fishes.

Droplet said...

Thanks, all. I was, as I said, pissed off. She even, apparently, stole my user info. But it's over now, and the skin today is much less off my nose than hers. And maybe this makes me an egotistical maniac, but is there a better compliment? I mean she wasn't just copying and pasting, she was making tiny changes, which means she read every freaking word. Shitty way to show it, but that's true dedication and it's hard not to be just bowled over with flattery.

Anyway, plagiarism is bad, mmm 'kay? So, kids, don't do it, mmm 'kay? Makes hair grow on your palms, you know.

Anonymous said...

I hate seeing this shit happening. All. The. Time. I swear, some people should be institutionalized. I mean, I know that a lot of us like to hanker for attention wherever we can get it but this is insane. And pathetic. And, oh yeah, illegal.

You're a much better person than I am . I hope this doesn't happen again.

max said...

Good on you for calling her out on this. and imitation/plagiarism is a the sincerest (& deceitful) form of flattery, and that you deserve flattery (not deceit).
by the way, i was told that whackin' it caused hairy palms, and we all know it takes a hairy palm to know one. i pluck 'em and no one's the wiser (i think).

Anonymous said...

You know, Miss Droplet, I like you more and more, the more I learn about you.